Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI
Videocards - AMD - ATI AMD Radeon graphics cards. Do you have one or want to buy one? Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using Radeon graphics cards, CrossFireX, from Radeon 9800 to HD 6900

Asus 6970 Crossfire problem
Old
  (#1)
SnoSalmon

Videocard: Asus HD6970
Processor: I7-920
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax Revolution 850
Default Asus 6970 Crossfire problem - 06-02-2011, 13:09 | posts: 4

Hey guys,

I have just upgraded from dual 5870's to 6970's - largely to get some decent performance out of Metro and Stalker.
I'm having a problem in that with both cards in the performance is incredibly poor. Furmark chugs at 10 FPS, Crysis 2, AvP and other games also run around 11-12 FPS with both cards.

CCC recognises both cards, and crossfire is enabled. GPU_Z shows both cards, however the second card has core and memory clocks listed incredibly low. (250Mhz and 150Mhz respectively)
The temps would seem about right in GPU_Z, and the GPU load is 0% on the second card even with Furmark running.

I have re-seated the cards, and the power leads.

Single card (either) is fine. I have switched cards around, different crossfire bridges, different loads of Windows 7, CCC 11.3, 11.5 and 11.5b and all sorts of trickery including a BIOS update for the MB.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. System details:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board (with latest BIOS),
Core I7-920 CPU (at stock speeds until I fix this issue)
Enermax Revolution 850W PSU,
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM,
1 x WD Velociraptor hard drive,
CPU is water cooled (MPC655 pump)

TIA guys

Sno

Old
  (#2)
bonob
Master Guru

Videocard: radeon hd 6970 2 go
Processor: FX 8320/H2O
Mainboard: gigabyte GA 970 UD3 v1.2
Memory: PC3 15000 corsair 8g
Soundcard: VIA HD audio
PSU: Antec HCG 900
Default 06-02-2011, 13:32 | posts: 335 | Location: France

hi, your problem can be the psu did your try to swap the power connector on both card to see?
look like crossfire is not active, try to uninstall cfx driver then reboot without crossfire link but with the two card, install driver, reboot and connect crossfire, enable crossfire in CCC

Last edited by bonob; 06-02-2011 at 13:38.

Old
  (#3)
SnoSalmon

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-02-2011, 13:38 | posts: 4

Hi Bonob,

I tried switching the two 8-pin connectors between the cards, the problem stayed the same.
(taking the bottom cards' 8-pin connectors and plugging them into the top card etc)

I also tried each of the 4 connectors at the PSU end, with no change in behaviour.

Would have thought the 850W PSU would be enough for this. I don't have a plug to monitor the draw from the wall socket.

I have done the boot without the crossfire bridge connected, and verified windows recognises both cards, shutting down and re-connecting the crossfire bridge. When I boot without the bridge the crossfire option is not available to me in CCC (of course).

Old
  (#4)
bonob
Master Guru

Default 06-02-2011, 13:39 | posts: 335 | Location: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSalmon View Post
Hi Bonob,

I tried switching the two 8-pin connectors between the cards, the problem stayed the same.
(taking the bottom cards' 8-pin connectors and plugging them into the top card etc)

I also tried each of the 4 connectors at the PSU end, with no change in behaviour.

Would have thought the 850W PSU would be enough for this. I don't have a plug to monitor the draw from the wall socket.
ok i ve edited my last post you can give a try at this

Old
  (#5)
SnoSalmon

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-02-2011, 13:42 | posts: 4

Ok re-read, I haven't booted without the driver installed and without the crossfire bridge. I have removed the driver, run driver sweeper and re-install, with reboots in between.

Have also tried a new build of Windows 7 without success.

Will post results tomorrow as it's nearly midnite here of the removal of the driver and the boot without the bridge in, before re-installing CCC 11.5b and re-connecting the bridge.

Old
  (#6)
bonob
Master Guru

Default 06-02-2011, 13:44 | posts: 335 | Location: France

hope it will help you good night ; )

Old
  (#7)
SnoSalmon

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-03-2011, 04:42 | posts: 4

The friggin top card was just touching the circuitry on the bottom card.

A piece of cardboard solved it.

After half the night, and some of today I almost ordered a bigger PSU until I got hold of a Watt meter. It showed some incredibly erratic behaviour. Everything was fine at idle, as soon as a load came on the second GPU the meter would jump to 600W, then 270W, then 534, and all sort of numbers in between.

I used a multimeter against the shrouding of the top card set to continuity and resistance which showed nothing. The shrouding has some sort of coating over it, so I figured there couldn't have been any conductivity issues, but looks like there was.

Crysis 2 at 5760x1200:
5870's in Crossfire I was getting 17-20FPS.
Single 6970 pretty steady at 20 FPS
Dual 6970's I get 32-40FPS.

Metro 2033 at 5760x1200:
5870's is crossfire - unplayable at 2FPS
Single 6970 same as above.
Dual 6970's I'm hitting between 25-40FPS.

Aliens vs Predator is noticeably smoother and seems to be "limited" at 60FPS. Doesn't go over, but doesn't drop below either.

Above all, these cards are as quiet as. Hardly any noise, but only spent 30 mins gaming as I'm meant to be working.

This has been the only testing so far. I need to get some games on in preparation of a big LAN this weekend.