Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#1251)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 03-23-2017, 03:25 | posts: 2,877 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4Life View Post
Well, I've had an interesting past couple months with my PC audio setup. I went from an X-Fi Titanium PCIe sound card to a Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/amp. While the Fulla 2 was great, I ended up getting the upgrade-itis within the 15 day return period and returned it towards the Modi Multibit DAC & Vali 2 amp. I also bought some HD 598 Cs (closed) headphones and sent them back after trying the HD 598 SE open version. I also bought the HD650s. Did a bit of tube rolling with the Vali 2 and settled on the Gold Lion E88CC.

I don't regret any of these purchases and my old X-Fi is now sitting in a box of extra/old computer parts. Glad to have gotten rid of the Creative software & drivers!

Wow, you went on quite a ride after getting Schiit Fulla nd HD598ce.

I guess Schiit stack is too appealing. Glad you got proper headphones that appreciate good amp and dac.

But damn dude, you went from audio peasant to king in like 1 month.

Old
  (#1252)
AMD4Life
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Processor: Intel Xeon X5675 4.41GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Memory: 24GB GSkill DDR3 1680MHz
Soundcard: Modi-MB>Vali 2>HD650
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Default 03-23-2017, 21:21 | posts: 158 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post

Wow, you went on quite a ride after getting Schiit Fulla nd HD598ce.

I guess Schiit stack is too appealing. Glad you got proper headphones that appreciate good amp and dac.

But damn dude, you went from audio peasant to king in like 1 month.
Totally worth it! The Modi Multibit & Vali 2 stack is a great pairing with the HD650s. Being able to tube roll to fine tune the sound signature is a great benefit as well.

I am told that the HD650s scale very well with even higher performance DACs & amps, so whenever I get the upgrade-itis again I really am curious to see how much better the sound actually gets. Until then, I am a very happy listener.

Old
  (#1253)
holystarlight
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus 1080 Strix SLI
Processor: Intel 6950x 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme 10
Memory: G.Skill 32gb 3200mhz
Soundcard: Chord Dave DAC / WA22
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
Default 03-24-2017, 17:30 | posts: 723 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoriaX View Post
Where would I find other tubes that is compatibility with Valhalla 2?

Also, I am thinking about to buy Asgard 2 from Schiit which looks like a solid state AMP. I would like to try switching between and see which I like the most. I am not sure if that's good idea or just buy tubes.
Iv tried each item you mentioned I personally would forget the Asgard2 and go with the Valhalla 2 if money allows. I love the sound of tubes on the Valhalla 2 really brings out that musical elements to the overall sound quality. I found the Asgard 2 sounds to digital and harsh in some categories of music. but the Valhalla 2 has great soundstage/softness and the mids are pretty solid with good balance of bass/treble for its price, Its a good buy imo

But each product I have tested with pretty high end headphones (HD800s and Audeze LCD4) using both the Yggdrasil and Bitfrost DAC's in my testing.

Schiit do, do some amazing products for the price range, I think I have pretty much used all of there products at some given point lol.

On a side note, Only just discovered this thread!

So Ill post some of my current audio setup i'm running.

LCD4 headphones hooked up to the Woo Audio WA22 amp and Chord Dave DAC(its hidden sadly lol)

Software wise I run all my audio through Roon, I found that gives the best quality to my DAC compared to any other software I have tested.

Last edited by holystarlight; 03-24-2017 at 17:49.

Old
  (#1254)
gridiron whirlw
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 570 SLI
Processor: Intel i5-2500K
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
Memory: 8GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
Soundcard: MAD Ear+HD & Grado RS1i
PSU: Corsair 850 Watt
Default 03-25-2017, 12:33 | posts: 3,777 | Location: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by holystarlight View Post
Iv tried each item you mentioned I personally would forget the Asgard2 and go with the Valhalla 2 if money allows. I love the sound of tubes on the Valhalla 2 really brings out that musical elements to the overall sound quality. I found the Asgard 2 sounds to digital and harsh in some categories of music. but the Valhalla 2 has great soundstage/softness and the mids are pretty solid with good balance of bass/treble for its price, Its a good buy imo

But each product I have tested with pretty high end headphones (HD800s and Audeze LCD4) using both the Yggdrasil and Bitfrost DAC's in my testing.

Schiit do, do some amazing products for the price range, I think I have pretty much used all of there products at some given point lol.

On a side note, Only just discovered this thread!

So Ill post some of my current audio setup i'm running.

LCD4 headphones hooked up to the Woo Audio WA22 amp and Chord Dave DAC(its hidden sadly lol)

Software wise I run all my audio through Roon, I found that gives the best quality to my DAC compared to any other software I have tested.
nice set-up

Old
  (#1255)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 04-18-2017, 20:44 | posts: 12,915 | Location: Finland

By the way... The new (well, not new any more) headband is starting to crack (from opposite side though this time). Design flaw. Not going to get them fixed again.

Also... Unless I'm having some kind of serious placebo effect going on I'd say that the stereo direct mode on Sound Blaster Zx definitely gives better audio quality.

Last edited by Anarion; 04-18-2017 at 21:58.

Old
  (#1256)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
Processor: I7 3930k @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4v
Mainboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: G-skill 4x4GB @2133
Soundcard: AE-5>Jot> BAL>JBL305/R70x
PSU: Cosair RM850
Default 04-19-2017, 19:02 | posts: 5,922 | Location: Southfield,MI

My schiit Jotunheim that i bought used with the gen 2 dac in has came, burning it in right now. Now its time to get rid of my Zxr. On first listen I like it so far.

Old
  (#1257)
ScoobyDooby
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac 980TI & Acer X34
Processor: 2600K @ 4.6ghz & EK Pr360
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengance
Soundcard: Teac UD-501
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W Gold+
Default 04-20-2017, 00:22 | posts: 6,981 | Location: BC, Canada

Wanted to show off my newest audio additions.

Got the TEAC UD501 a couple months back, still breaking it in, along with the Audioengine HD6.

Using a Uptone Audio Amber Regen w/ WireWorld UV 7 USB 2.0 and AudioQuest BigSur RCA Interconnects.

Still got 60 hours of burn in at least on the HD6, but sounding better every day!

Old
  (#1258)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Default 04-20-2017, 00:38 | posts: 5,922 | Location: Southfield,MI

Here my photo of right here, now all is left to do is get me an R70X balance cable, I happen to know which company makes one.

Old
  (#1259)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: UMC-1, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 04-20-2017, 01:15 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

The Oppo 205 has finally appeared on the radar.
Price has increased a bit but the specs have too.
www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
Only on preorder atm.

Old
  (#1260)
ayakaza
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 1080 AORUS
Processor: Intel i7 2600K 4.4
Mainboard: Asrock Fatality Z68 Gen3
Memory: Mushkin BL 8gb ddr3-1600
Soundcard: ess stx + vall2 + t50rp
PSU: Seasonic x850 gold
Default 05-06-2017, 01:24 | posts: 187 | Location: Canada > Quebec > lachenaie

i just bought a valhalla 2 and i cant wait for it to arrive . Im going to use it with
hd650 , denon ah-d2000 and dt990 600ohm .
Next upgrade will probably be a good DAC

Old
  (#1261)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 05-11-2017, 13:31 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

I ordered an Oppo 205 yesterday, hopefully it will arrive over the weekend.
My 105D was handed to the courier today for px so theres a big hole in my AV system!
I'm using the Minimax for stereo from PC, feeding TV audio into PC via mic in. Works well.

My brother managed to snag a 205 yesterday from a shop.
At first he said he didnt notice much difference to his 105 but after a short break-in its definitely clearer and he is impressed. He's not easy to impress.
Not heard more from him, probably too busy playing with it.

Theres only one downside to the Oppo 205 vs the 105 that I have found so far.
It has 2 HDMI out but only one of them supports video.
The other is audio only. Its been configured to reduce jitter for those that feed audio into another AV DAC/pre-amp.
Good for those using a Pre-amp with a better DAC (not sure there is one vs the 205 though) but I use both HDMI outs for video.
I'll get an HDMI 2.0 splitter. I advise making sure it supports 4K60 and HDR if you do this.

This brings up an issue.
I avoided using a pre-amp to prevent colouring the signal and reducing detail, instead using the Oppos internal volume control built into the DAC chip.
But there is a downside to this with high end kit.
Using the volume control in the Oppo reduces output level but the noise floor remains the same. Fortunately there is enough headroom with the 32bit DAC running 24bit media to prevent reduction of dynamic range which is a relief.
With the 205 it has been stated, below 70% volume you may start to hear effects of the noise floor.

I plan to insert a high quality resistor on each channels analogue out to reduce output enough that the volume is at the right level between 70 to 100%.
Once I get the value worked out it will be soldered it into the silver leads to reduce connection losses.
(1% on the volume is 1dB. Previous Oppos it was 0.5dB)

Old
  (#1262)
Hyde

Videocard: 8GB DDR3
Processor: Core i5 2.4GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Linear
Default 05-13-2017, 04:17 | posts: 13

Mufflore, share what you think of it before the resistors are installed. Some feedback with various materials at different attenuations would great! Is it possible the noise may be from source material in that scenario? Looking forward to reading about it.

Old
  (#1263)
moab600
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 980TI Gaming
Processor: Core I7 4790K 4.6GHZ
Mainboard: Asus Z97 PRO 2501
Memory: 16GB DDRIII 1866MHZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar STX II Z906
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 650W 85+Br
Default 05-13-2017, 09:21 | posts: 5,932 | Location: Israel

Bought recently Fiio K1 i think, small USB DAC for mine Mate 9, only problem is that it's mini usb and i have USB C so i needed to make adjustments

Together with Audio Technica E50 in ear headphones, the quality is top notch, the music is soo alive and you can hear ALL the instruments plays well, separation and sound stage are awesome as well, 220$ for the bundle.

Old
  (#1264)
DW75
Master Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX1080 AMP EXTREME
Processor: R7 1700X
Mainboard: MSI X370Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3466
Soundcard: SB ZXR/SR6007/HE400i
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2
Default 05-13-2017, 20:35 | posts: 337 | Location: Canada

Right after I got my Creative ZXR, I took out the stock JRC2114D opamps in the I/V Stage. I put two LME49860NA opamps in. The difference was easily noticeable. The bass became much tighter, and that nasty treble fatigue with the stock opamps disappeared. The instrument separation and soundstaging improved. As it is with any audiophile, I was still not completely satisfied and wanted more. Last week I ended up putting two LME49710HA TO-99 Metal Can opamps on adapters in the buffer stage to replace the stock LME49710NA chips. Oh my, what a great upgrade. The bass became tighter, faster, and more defined. The soundstaging opened right up. Instrument separation and location are greatly improved. The mids are a tad more forward, and vocals are very well presented. The treble extension is far better. Things are more articulate, clear, and defined. Everything is nice and neutral sounding with great details. I am not using the headphone amp on the card. I use an M-Stage HPA-2 headphone amp connected to the RCA outs. It has an opamp upgrade in it as well from the stock OPA2134, which I replaced months ago with two LME49990MA opamps on an adapter. The headphones I have are the HD600 and the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm. I have been really impressed so far after the opamp upgrades, especially the LME49710HA.

Old
  (#1265)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 05-13-2017, 21:51 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Mufflore, share what you think of it before the resistors are installed. Some feedback with various materials at different attenuations would great! Is it possible the noise may be from source material in that scenario? Looking forward to reading about it.
Probably wont have it until Weds.
It needs running in first then I'll see what it can do before making any changes.

Last edited by Mufflore; 05-13-2017 at 21:53.

Old
  (#1266)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 05-19-2017, 17:57 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Only got it today, been listening to it and comparing for the last 5 hours.
Its a wonderful sound.

Its more laid back (like my original Oppo 105) but has more micro detail than my stereo Minimax Plus DAC -which is quite a lot more detailed than the Oppo 105.
Imaging is a good step up from the Minimax, it is so precise its quite incredible.
The sound is more delicate and at the same time more revealing.
Voice and instrument placement is unquestionable its like you can see the exact locations.

I made a custom USB cable that gives a little more detail on the Minimax.
It doesnt matter whether I use this cable or a cheap one on the Oppo 205, they both sound the same.
Optical extracts a tiny bit more detail than USB but is more limited in its use (so I rarely use it). I had the same experience with the Oppo 105 and Minimax.
My optical cable has always worked perfectly up to 96KHz but crackles a bit at 192KHz. The Oppo 205 works perfectly at 192KHz. I imagine it interpolates errors better.
I really need to spend some cash on a better optical cable but the inability to play anything outside 44, 48, 96 and 192KHz makes it a chore to use.

To sum up the audio quality so far:
The Oppo 205 is better than the Oppo 105, way better.
Its very similar to the Minimax plus sound and detail level. The Minimax has a slightly sharper sound that accentuates detail. The Oppo adds more tiny detail while giving a more relaxed delicate sound.
Imaging is superior, very precise. Tiny sounds have a precise location that previously mixed together somewhat. Exceptional.
Micro detail is improved, reverb lasts a little longer before fading to nothing.
It doesnt care so much about audio cable quality for digital input.

Doing an A/B comparison with the Minimax is difficult at times because they both extract a ton of detail and the sound is extraordinarily similar.
But the delicate extra detail and better imaging make the Oppo 205 a win.
And it does this with surround channels.

Awesome DAC.

ps no need for resistors.
I use between 70 and 78% volume for mid to moderate loudness. 60% is quiet.
When doing the comparisons over optical I set the Oppo to 100% volume and used Foobars volume control so both DACs received the same signal.

Old
  (#1267)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 16:25 | posts: 5,922 | Location: Southfield,MI

Finally got an balanced cable for my R70x, to use the balanced headphone jack on the Schiit Jotunheim. I didn't effect the headphone to improve this much. I did expected some improvement due to being supplied more power, but not this much.

I did get 4FT so i had to move my Jotunheim foward an bit, Should had went for 5ft for 10 more dollars,but then it would had been too long and been in the way.

Edit: after using it for an while my R70 sound much better then they ever did in compared to using the SE cable that came with them. Everything sound perfect to me and spacious too.

Now I feel I have every thing I ever wanted with the way every thing sounds. I'm finally can say that I have an setup that I'm happy with.

Last edited by GenClaymore; 05-24-2017 at 18:50.

Old
  (#1268)
gridiron whirlw
Ancient Guru

Default 06-17-2017, 13:07 | posts: 3,777 | Location: Ohio

New amp in the house!

EL3N tubes with two stages...wonderful for high impedance , low impedance and great with planars.

Old
  (#1269)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 06-17-2017, 14:34 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Nice.
I'd like to try a good tube amp on my hifi.

I used a 100W EL34 with my guitar years ago and it was the nicest sounding guitar amp.
My current amp has a valve pre which gives some of the same flavour.

Old
  (#1270)
gridiron whirlw
Ancient Guru

Default 07-13-2017, 14:07 | posts: 3,777 | Location: Ohio

The new dac finally made it's way to me. KTE Holo Springs Level 3

This definitely stepped up my whole system.

I never had thought that the dac was as important as I now know that it is.

This may be the single best upgrade that I have ever put in my system .
Much better than my PS Audio Nuwave, which I always considered very good.

I always considered DSD something that my old ears could not tell the difference from a 44/16 flac....the native DSD performance is simply amazing.

It does DSD natively and I am gobsmacked by it's performance....definitely the last dac I will be looking for.

Old
  (#1271)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 07-13-2017, 14:38 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Hehe sweet.
Its hard to tell people how DSD is better without being unwrapped to PCM because most cant do that and dont understand.
It also needs a good enough DAC and equipment to get the finer detail.

Last edited by Mufflore; 07-13-2017 at 14:40.

Old
  (#1272)
gridiron whirlw
Ancient Guru

Default 07-13-2017, 18:20 | posts: 3,777 | Location: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
Hehe sweet.
Its hard to tell people how DSD is better without being unwrapped to PCM because most cant do that and dont understand.
It also needs a good enough DAC and equipment to get the finer detail.
It takes up lots of hard drive space and the albums are not cheap, but there is gobs of detail and it is a joy to listen to.

Old
  (#1273)
mikeysg
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x Sapp R9 290X CF H20
Processor: i7 3960X + Corsair H100
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 4x 4GB Corsair DP 2133mhz
Soundcard: Oppo HA-1 + KRK Rokit5 G3
PSU: Seasonic X-1250
Default 07-17-2017, 10:16 | posts: 2,146 | Location: Babylon 5

Haven't gotten anything lately because, well, nothing seems exciting or new. In fact, I'd been avoiding going to the local shops selling audio stuff for a while now, but last Saturday, I happened upon the Audeze iSine 10 and was intrigued. Like that it's a Planar Magnetic IEM, as well as having a pair of Imperial Tie fighter wings on my ears, so I snagged it.

Comes with a variety of ear tips, a couple of ear hooks, a Lightning audio cable adapter and a regular cable with 3.5mm plug....nice presentation case if I do say so myself.

I'm using it on my LG G6 and HFM HM901s....pictured with my G6 which can drive it up to pretty damn loud, I have my volume set at 40-45 of a max of 75.

Old
  (#1274)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Default 07-18-2017, 17:42 | posts: 5,922 | Location: Southfield,MI

Til an rebel strolls by and rip them from your ears

How are they, are they comfitable and sound really well?

I planning on grabbing me an sound blaster AE-5,since it has the functionally and features that I want, when it comes out. Lucky I didn't have to pay extra for the dac module of the jotunheim, since it was in mine when I got an good deal on it used. Because that thing gave me all types of issues, including what I needed the most asio, which don't work right.

Old
  (#1275)
mikeysg
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x Sapp R9 290X CF H20
Processor: i7 3960X + Corsair H100
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 4x 4GB Corsair DP 2133mhz
Soundcard: Oppo HA-1 + KRK Rokit5 G3
PSU: Seasonic X-1250
Default 07-19-2017, 03:11 | posts: 2,146 | Location: Babylon 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron whirlw View Post
It takes up lots of hard drive space and the albums are not cheap, but there is gobs of detail and it is a joy to listen to.
I have about 4TB of DSD, but I've been scoffed at when I say I hear the extra detail and clarity. Even had one guy tell me that it was all placebo, and another reasonable argument is that better masters were used for DSD recording/mastering. Honestly, I'm more than happy with FLAC and WAV rips of CD's, there's just something subtly different about DSD.

GW, about the fit, well, I never had any luck with stock silicon tips, foam type tips is my preferred tip. I'll be snagging some Comply's.....prolly the Isolation 600. Right now, I need the hook to keep the IEM in place, but I do believe that with foam tips, I may dispense with the hooks which I find pretty difficult to mount correctly on my ears. I've heard that the use of foam tips would enhance the bass somewhat, but kill off some of the highs.