Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Old
  (#26)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 05-17-2017, 12:59 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx11 View Post
this game is getting hammered in reviews

pcgamer : 60/100
The reviews I saw... IGN, GameSpot, etc... seem to be averaging the game around 8/10. Metacritic has an average of 72% which indicates an above average game with flaws.

Personally, I like this game even if it does feel very derivative, not only in terms of its Dark Souls-inspired gameplay but also its industrial sci-fi setting. Despite that though I got quite addicted to the game last night and ended up playing it for almost three hours, basically grinding the same area with some exploration to acquire the body parts and tech scrap needed to build more powerful armour and level up. I like the way the enemies seem challenging at first but then become easier as you learn the combat system and become better equipped to deal with them. I've still died a few times, usually through carelessness (being attacked by two or even three enemies at once or failing to see that my health was low).

The combat doesn't feel as satisfying as Dark Souls though and all the weapons so far have been melee-based so I found myself yearning for a shotgun or even a basic laser to take out some of the easier flying drones. This is an industrial plant after all so you would think there would be lasers lying around that could be modified into weapons... the flying drones can fire projectiles for example yet destroying them does not grant you their weapon which is a bit disappointing.

Not sure how long I will play the game; I guess it will last me as long as the urge to explore lasts and as long as the enemies remain challenging but not frustrating (i.e. as long as I can avoid boss fights!).

I think it's a good game overall so far, although the setting isn't quite as interesting to explore as, say, Dark Souls or Bloodborne plus there aren't many different types of enemies so far (and the few I have encountered all use the same tactics so there's no variation or surprises, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how hard you find the gameplay).

Old
  (#27)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 05-19-2017, 14:37 | posts: 13,031 | Location: Sweden

http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540...0669223858166/

Opt-in beta patch.

Quote:

The Surge - Update 52956 (P4) 33449 (SVN)

Bug Fixes

Mapping the dodge button to Circle will no longer cause the player to dodge every time the player "backs out" of the game menu.
Possible crash when leaving New Game+ at the beginning and starting a new game.
Gameplay blocker if the player does not collect the Security Exo-Rig after destroying the case. This will also fix broken saves.
Various AR elements should no longer appear in the wrong locations.
Counter attacks on drone enemies are no longer interrupted when using a Single-rigged weapon.
Closed door in Resolve Biolabs now opens correctly. This will also fix broken saves.
Using an implant that is on cooldown in the same moment an enemy is finished will no longer cause a repeating error message .
Fixed issues where armor items were unable to be equipped in New Game+.
Hobbs no longer asks for help after the player has helped him.
Player can no longer get stuck at certain stairs in the tunnels of Resolve Biolabs.
Player can no longer target the upper part of PAX while PAX is standing up.
Sorting items by 'Newest' now works properly.
Removed Quicksave/Quickload bindings.

Improvements & Tweaks

Improved behavior of the Security Guard.
The music in Ops will no longer play after the player has died and respawned.
Improved behavior of the Black Cerberus when his attacks are blocked.
Elevator positions have been adjusted to avoid waiting for an elevator after dying.
Proximity Sensor no longer emits a beeping sound when an enemy is locked.
Character is now invulnerable for a short time after a finishing move is finished.
Increased the duration of the stamina buff triggered when collecting enough Tech Scrap to be worth a level up.
Reduced the stamina cost for continually blocking.
Increased the time for the continual block stamina cost to begin.

Old
  (#28)
Alex13
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia
Processor: i7 4820k - @4.4
Mainboard: Gigabyte ud7 x79
Memory: 16GB Quad@2.4 CL9 Mushkin
Soundcard: Z-5500 / Cloud II
PSU: Supernova 1000W
Default 05-19-2017, 17:54 | posts: 1,834

Im interested, but looking at a one review video and the giant bomb quick look im already bored by the look of the levels. Screams heavily discounted purchase tier - in a year or two from now.

Old
  (#29)
bobdude
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1060 6gb
Processor: i7 6700
Mainboard: ASUS
Memory: GDDR5 12gb
Soundcard: ASUS
PSU: acer laptop
Default 05-19-2017, 18:35 | posts: 1,946 | Location: AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
Im interested, but looking at a one review video and the giant bomb quick look im already bored by the look of the levels. Screams heavily discounted purchase tier - in a year or two from now.
all developers care about is eyecandy for me thats last on my list for a game

Old
  (#30)
Alex13
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia
Processor: i7 4820k - @4.4
Mainboard: Gigabyte ud7 x79
Memory: 16GB Quad@2.4 CL9 Mushkin
Soundcard: Z-5500 / Cloud II
PSU: Supernova 1000W
Default 05-19-2017, 19:04 | posts: 1,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdude View Post
all developers care about is eyecandy for me thats last on my list for a game
dunno about developers, but i got bored looking at what looked like the same room reorganized over and over and over again.
I might be wrong and there's a lot more variety, but that's not what i got after watching close to 2 hours worth of video footage.

Last edited by Alex13; 05-19-2017 at 19:10.

Old
  (#31)
Witcher29
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
Processor: 5930k + H110i GTX
Mainboard: MSI X99 GODLIKE
Memory: 64 GB LPX @ 2133
Soundcard: SoundBlaster X7
PSU: Corsair AX 1500
Default 05-19-2017, 22:12 | posts: 787 | Location: Netherlands

This game is so much fun especially if u die like 30 times in the second world after the train, that **** is hardcore to the bone jezus christ lol

First game in months i really like

Old
  (#32)
ShadowDuke
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7600
Processor: AMD FX-6300 (4.0 GHz)
Mainboard: MSI 970A-G43
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR3 (1600)
Soundcard: Creative Inspire 5300
PSU: Antec HCG-620M
Default 05-19-2017, 22:15 | posts: 2,859 | Location: Germany

Great game, beat 3 bosses so far. I think im in the 4th area (flamethrowers everywhere ).

I like the level concept how you "unlock" shortcuts every time.

@Witcher29

After the train? You mean if you travel the 1st time to the 2nd area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
i got bored looking at what looked like the same room reorganized over and over and over again.
Its nothing like that. The thing is - cos you die often, like in souls game, you see the same level more often, which is pretty normal for such games.

When you're later in game you can also make more sense to the whole (industry) complex and how its built.

Last edited by ShadowDuke; 05-19-2017 at 22:21.

Old
  (#33)
Witcher29
Master Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 00:31 | posts: 787 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuke View Post
Great game, beat 3 bosses so far. I think im in the 4th area (flamethrowers everywhere ).

I like the level concept how you "unlock" shortcuts every time.

@Witcher29

After the train? You mean if you travel the 1st time to the 2nd area?
Yeah after the travel true train that second indoor level is insane even with my chainsaw lvl 2 i still die allot with the full rhino suite.

Old
  (#34)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 09:33 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

I'm stuck on the second level and have no idea where to go as I've opened all the doors and explored the area completely.

Click to show spoiler

What on earth do I do? I have literally explored everywhere I can get to.

Old
  (#35)
Witcher29
Master Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 11:15 | posts: 787 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
I'm stuck on the second level and have no idea where to go as I've opened all the doors and explored the area completely.

Click to show spoiler

What on earth do I do? I have literally explored everywhere I can get to.
I am stuck in the same place buddy i dont bother with those 2 machine things they 2 shot me anyway

Old
  (#36)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 12:09 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witcher29 View Post
I am stuck in the same place buddy i dont bother with those 2 machine things they 2 shot me anyway
Ah, I just had a sneaky look at a walkthrough and I completely missed a stairway going down just through a doorway to the left in the area where the two bridges extend. I went through that area five or six times as well. Duh!

I guess I could blame the third-person view because I doubt I would have missed it so easily if the game had been first-person.

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 05-20-2017 at 17:07.

Old
  (#37)
ShadowDuke
Ancient Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 14:53 | posts: 2,859 | Location: Germany

You both need to go to Recycling and then Toxic waste down where the next boss is.

The woman is only taking the other staff, the BioMaster. I gave it to her and found another one later.

The medic for the guy i still didnt find. Most likely in other level later.

You need to look out for sneaky stairways etc. its the same with Dark Souls, you need to keep an eye out for the level and such things.

The Panels with higher overcharge like 60, 70 are for you coming back later. I recently "opened" my 2st and got 2 nano-things which i dont see in my inventory nor i know what to do with them.

I guess they contain some new (version) implant - maybe good for Newgame+.

If you have opend all doors (except the one after the boss) - you should already have a shortcut to recycling and therefore the boss.

Last edited by ShadowDuke; 05-21-2017 at 16:03.

Old
  (#38)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen 5 1600@3.9GHz/1.3V
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: TridentZ 2933/C14 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-21-2017, 10:09 | posts: 3,399 | Location: Finland

So I suppose if you like Souls games this'll work too? Would love a good Soulslike game.

I've basically played nothing but Souls games for the last two months

Old
  (#39)
ShadowDuke
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 16:02 | posts: 2,859 | Location: Germany

yes..

Later the shafts man,..there are so many and its easy to get lost.

Good im past that and now im at the Board after talking to Dr. Bennett.

The boos there is too strong for me atm. I dont know...its really stressful.
You fight one with a thunderaxe and if you take some health from him hes running away and the boss you beat 1st is coming. If you beat him, the guy with his axe is coming back and the same again.

I managed to get to "phase 3" but then the guy constantly is attacking and im only dodging. ^^ At this stage the boss only lost 1/10 of his health.

Guess after you damaged him again some more the robotor boss is also coming again.

Last edited by ShadowDuke; 05-21-2017 at 17:53.

Old
  (#40)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 12:59 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

24 hours in and I have really started to appreciate this game more on a technical and gameplay level.

The environments lack variety and come across as a bit sterile and bland but it feels believable and cohesive in a way that Dark Souls does not (due to its dreamlike/nightmarish fantasy stylings) and there's some nice details. Animations are excellent and some of the lighting effects on later rigs look really impressive when running through darkened corridors and rooms. The game also runs superbly on my system; a locked 60 fps at maxed out 2560x1440 settings and that's with 130% resolution scaling too (any higher and the game can dip below 60 fps).

The gameplay is tough but I like that the game focuses more on exploration and fighting "normal" enemies over boss fights as it means I feel like I can get further without being frustrated. Also, the level is design is excellent with each area being relatively small but laid out in a way that opens up shortcuts the more you play it. I also like that (the few) NPC you meet feel more natural to interact with here than Dark Souls/Bloodborne (From's games don't even bother to lip-sync the characters). Your character even speaks giving a more conventional and, IMO, better RPG feel than Dark Souls.

If I have one criticism it is that the game's objectives can be confusing, not helped by the fact that you have to backtrack. Twice I have had to consult a guide to find out where I was supposed to go, not helped by the lack of a map. Sure, Dark Souls didn't have a map either but in a game where you are surrounding by technology and computers it seems absurd that there isn't one here. Also, the loading times are fairly long the first time I load it up (from a hard drive... takes several minutes) but switching between areas after that takes 2 seconds! Restarts after dying are also very quick.

A very good game IMO; very addictive, well-polished on PC and different enough to not feel like a blatant Dark Souls rip-off (the way you target specific weak spots to sever heads and limbs for upgrades is a neat mechanic IMO).

Old
  (#41)
ShadowDuke
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 13:23 | posts: 2,859 | Location: Germany

1st load up takes mae also seconds on hdd not minutes, hmm.

Old
  (#42)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 13:42 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuke View Post
1st load up takes mae also seconds on hdd not minutes, hmm.
I have 2x Seagate 7,200rpm 64MB and 1x WD Black 7,200rpm 64 GB hard drives SATAIII hard drives and some games do seem to take an alarmingly long time to load from either three. DOOM (2016) for example used to take an absolute age until I relocated it to my 1 TB boot SSD and now it loads up (unsurprisingly) in seconds. Most games load fairly quickly though (Prey for example).

I just assumed this is normal but perhaps there's something wrong with my setup? I do have five hard drives connected though (one boot SSD, three games and one internal backup hard drives). I also have two BD-ROM drives connected via SATAIII. I use the latest Intel RST driver for my motherboard.

Old
  (#43)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080TI
Processor: Intel I7 6770K
Mainboard: ASUS STRIX
Memory: 16GB DD4 2133 MHz
Soundcard: EDIFIER LUNA ECLIPSE Red
PSU: 1000
Default 05-24-2017, 10:17 | posts: 20,702 | Location: Turkey

I recommend take your time to adventure around. mostly rewarding with new techs etc.

Old
  (#44)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 05-24-2017, 12:17 | posts: 13,031 | Location: Sweden

The beta patch has been updated.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540...1308568219300/

Quote:
Added:

Play your own music in OPS! Drop WAV, OGG or FLAC files to "My Documents/The Surge/songs"
A kill switch button combination for players being stuck has been added (Press 'LB', 'LT', 'RB', 'RT', 'LS' and 'RS' at the same time, 'F4' is the default binding on the keyboard) - Please only use this when your character is stuck.
Added an option to bind jumping/ducking from blocking to the left stick (when using a controller)

Bug Fixes:

Player will be able to block most attacks. This refers to enemy attacks that were only able to be ducked or hopped, which prior to the change ignored blocking. You will now be able to block these attacks, but they consume more stamina than 'standard' attacks.
Fixed some random crashes triggered by accessing invalid memory
Fixed some cases where display refresh rates were not displayed correctly within the menu (PC)
It is now easier to stagger enemies using light, faster-hitting weapons.
Removed Exploits where the player could receive unlimited Tech Scrap by switching the UI while dismantling objects
Potential random crash in the animation system
TDR crashes on Kepler GPUs (Nvidia 7## and 6## series)
Fixed holes in collision where the player could get stuck
Prevent the screensaver from kicking in when using a PS4 controller (PC)
Correctly apply fall damage when doing a plunging/jumping attack
The staff wielding security guards will no longer parry counter attacks and backstabs
Always apply the correct damage from counter attacks following from ducking under or jumping over enemy attacks
Fixed the behavior when binding target switching to the right stick
Properly store the button imagery configured in the options menu
Properly negate 100% toxic damage when wearing the Liquidator armor set
Enemy super armor was not decreasing properly in some cases after a string of quick successive hits
Fixed level transition elevators that were no longer available after dying in the moving elevator
Fixed respawn positions of the player on level transition elevators that caused players falling into their death immediately after loading a savegame
Loot drops of the smelting machines are now saved in the level so it can be collected even when dying after defeating the smelting machine
Fixed an issue where the "Big Sister" achievement did not unlock properly after killing the Big Sister 1/3
Mapping the dodge button to Circle will no longer cause the player to dodge every time the player "backs out" of the game menu.
Possible crash when leaving New Game+ at the beginning and starting a new game.
Gameplay blocker if the player does not collect the Security Exo-Rig after destroying the case. This will also fix broken saves.
Various AR elements should no longer appear in the wrong locations.
Counter attacks on drone enemies are no longer interrupted when using a Single-rigged weapon.
Closed door in Resolve Biolabs now opens correctly. This will also fix broken saves.
Using an implant that is on cooldown in the same moment an enemy is finished will no longer cause a repeating error message .
Fixed issues where armor items were unable to be equipped in New Game+.
Hobbs no longer asks for help after the player has helped him.
Player can no longer get stuck at certain stairs in the tunnels of Resolve Biolabs.
Player can no longer target the upper part of PAX while PAX is standing up.
Sorting items by 'Newest' now works properly.
Removed Quicksave/Quickload bindings.

Tweaks:

The values for health related implants have been adjusted to fall more in line with the desired/projected player health progression (more health)
The damage of the beam ranged attack of the Nano mass enemy has been reduced
The windup of the beam attack has been increased
Reduced the volume of the 'secret finding implant' - even more so when using a controller and rumble is enabled
Deactivate the 'secret finding implant' in the medbay
Implants granting a weapon proficiency level bonus now also grant a proficiency reward bonus so it becomes more viable to level up more than one weapon type
Added an option to bind jumping/ducking from blocking to the left stick (when using a controller)
Jumping/ducking from blocking can now also be done by pressing the bound keys for moving forward/backward (when playing with mouse and keyboard)
Tweaked hitboxes of the staff wielding security guards' attacks
Tweaked hitboxes of some enemies wielding fork lift weapons
Tweaked hitboxes of some enemies wielding two handed weapons
Tweaked the timings for the perfect block window for the player
Improved behavior of the Security Guard.
The music in Ops will no longer play after the player has died and respawned.
Improved behavior of the Black Cerberus when his attacks are blocked.
Elevator positions have been adjusted to avoid waiting for an elevator after dying.
Proximity Sensor no longer emits a beeping sound when an enemy is locked.
Character is now invulnerable for a short time after a finishing move is finished.
Increased the duration of the stamina buff triggered when collecting enough Tech Scrap to be worth a level up.
Reduced the stamina cost for continually blocking.
Increased the time for the continual block stamina cost to begin.
(Should include the patch notes from the previous beta patch.)

Old
  (#45)
Netherwind
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4500MHz
Mainboard: MSI Z170 M5
Memory: Corsair 16GB Ven. 2666MHz
Soundcard: ALC1150 & Creative T20
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Default 05-24-2017, 15:28 | posts: 4,808 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
So I suppose if you like Souls games this'll work too? Would love a good Soulslike game.

Apparently yes I'm thinking about getting it on PC.
Deck 13 did Lords of the Fallen which is a "Souls" game. I don't like it as much as DS3 or Bloodborne since it's slower paced but since it's so cheap it might be worth it for you If you get it, buy the PC version since the console versions are poor.

Old
  (#46)
Kono
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 970 / 4gb
Processor: Intel
Mainboard:
Memory: 16
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair
Default 05-24-2017, 19:50 | posts: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post

I highly recommended Nioh. Especially knowing how much you like "The Division".

Old
  (#47)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen 5 1600@3.9GHz/1.3V
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: TridentZ 2933/C14 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 05-24-2017, 20:56 | posts: 3,399 | Location: Finland

^ yeah heard good things about Nioh but it's only for ps4 isn't it? Need to do a bit of renovation at home so no consoles on budget atm.

@Netherwind good to know, I'll look into Lords of the Fallen too.

Old
  (#48)
ShadowDuke
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 03:11 | posts: 2,859 | Location: Germany

Lords of the fallen was ok but this is better. Their learned from their 1st "souls-like" game and you can see it in the Surge.

Im nearly at the end btw. guess its the last boss. I dont know what else can happen or i can go then after i finish him, story wise.