Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner - 02-15-2011, 17:05 | posts: 19,612 | Location: Guru3D testlab

We're receiving emails on how to enable additional overclockability for AMD cards (if supported) in MSI afterBurner.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:
  • Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
    I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
  • Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path
Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.

Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Follow Guru3D on facebook.

Last edited by msi-afterburner; 02-22-2011 at 14:02.

Old
  (#2)
ShadowMyth
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 470 @ 850
Processor: AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.78
Mainboard: Biostar 790GX
Memory: Corsair 8192MB PC6400
Soundcard: Auzen X-Fi™ Forte 7.1
PSU: Xion 1000W
Default 02-15-2011, 17:41 | posts: 3,396 | Location: West Chester, PA

Thanks for the info Hilbert. Much appreciated!

Old
  (#3)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
Processor: Q9550@3,8Ghz@Vendetta2
Mainboard: Asus P5Q Ket´s mBIOS :)
Memory: 4x2048 OCZ-REAPER 1080Mhz
Soundcard: CreativeX-FI X-tremeGamer
PSU: Corsair VX550W 550 Watt
Default 02-15-2011, 17:44 | posts: 3,653 | Location: outside the Box...

cool, Thanks Hilbert for the little Tutorial...

Old
  (#4)
demoncamber

Videocard: GTX460 Talon Attack
Processor: Phenom x6 1090t @4GHz
Mainboard: Crosshair Formula II
Memory: 8GB 1066 DDR2
Soundcard: Xfi XGF
PSU: OCZ Z850 Gold+
Default 02-19-2011, 23:53 | posts: 16 | Location: The Land of La La

Yeah, I tried this and it changes nothing in my AB? What does this enable exactly?

Old
  (#5)
brutlern
Member Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX760 DirectCUII
Processor: Intel i5-2500K @ 4 Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z68 Ex3 Gen3
Memory: 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Soundcard: onboard Realtek HD audio
PSU: Corsair VX550
Default 02-21-2011, 07:54 | posts: 147 | Location: Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
Yeah, I tried this and it changes nothing in my AB? What does this enable exactly?
It increases OC limits. Only needed if you reached the built in limits but feel you could go a bit higher (at your own risk of course)

Old
  (#6)
Aix

Videocard: GTX 580 3GB SLI
Processor: Intel i7 2500k
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi TitaniumHD + AHD2000
PSU: Corsair AX1200 1200W
Default 03-01-2011, 23:33 | posts: 33 | Location: Toronto

For me, enabling this option makes my comp BSOD with an atikmdag.sys error if I change the clocks AT ALL - even 10mhz.

I can change the core voltage, and I can OC to 950MHz in CCC, but no dice on moving the Core Clock slider if this option is enabled. Ah well.

Old
  (#7)
lmimmfn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780 Ti
Processor: i7 920@4.05Ghz/Noctua D12
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58 UD5
Memory: 9Gig XMS3 1600 C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX
PSU: OCZ 1250
Default 03-23-2011, 21:54 | posts: 9,499 | Location: Ireland

@Hilbert
Is there any way to have Unwinder include the above info in a txt file with the release as unsupportedFeatures.txt or something similar?

Each install of a new version of Afterburner results in the unofficial overclocking being reset, its impossible to track down whats required to reenable it, unless if unofficial overclocking if detected was enabled its reenabled automatically after installing the next release.

Maybe im just lame, but i know he changed the text required since my last install, but that was 2 months ago and theres no way i could remember.

Just saying is all, and erm, better annoying you than Unwinder

Old
  (#8)
msi-afterburner
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI N275GTX Lightning
Processor: Intel Core I7 870
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ Silencer 910W
Default 03-24-2011, 02:16 | posts: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
@Hilbert
Is there any way to have Unwinder include the above info in a txt file with the release as unsupportedFeatures.txt or something similar?

Each install of a new version of Afterburner results in the unofficial overclocking being reset, its impossible to track down whats required to reenable it, unless if unofficial overclocking if detected was enabled its reenabled automatically after installing the next release.

Maybe im just lame, but i know he changed the text required since my last install, but that was 2 months ago and theres no way i could remember.

Just saying is all, and erm, better annoying you than Unwinder
Personally I think it's not working. The reason why we added this annoying txt because many users never know what they were doing. So....

Old
  (#9)
lmimmfn
Ancient Guru

Default 03-24-2011, 22:44 | posts: 9,499 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by msi-afterburner View Post
Personally I think it's not working. The reason why we added this annoying txt because many users never know what they were doing. So....
no i agree completely because i read all the hassle Unwinder got on the subject, all im really saying is to have some indication as to what to do( for those of us who do have unofficial overclocking enabled - and know the consequences ). Maybe its just me, but i only upgrade MSI AB if its a beta that runs out or every once and a while, and i keep forgetting that updating the version keeps reseting the unofficial overclocking flag back to default.

It would be nice if the setting was kept, or detected during install and youre told it will be reset.

Old
  (#10)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-25-2011, 07:27 | posts: 11,192 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

To make ANY settings kept after upgrade edit MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into .\Profiles folder instead of MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into the root application folder. The .CFG file stored into the root is a template with default setting for .CFG file located into profiles folder, and the template is always overwritten on new version installation.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#11)
lmimmfn
Ancient Guru

Default 03-25-2011, 22:54 | posts: 9,499 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
To make ANY settings kept after upgrade edit MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into .\Profiles folder instead of MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into the root application folder. The .CFG file stored into the root is a template with default setting for .CFG file located into profiles folder, and the template is always overwritten on new version installation.
Perfect Alexey, thank you very much

Old
  (#12)
jtrageser

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX260-216
Processor: Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Mainboard: EVGA x58 3 Way SLi Classi
Memory: 12GB CorsairDominatorDDR3
Soundcard: Logitech X-530
PSU: Ultra x4 1050 Watt
Default 05-04-2011, 02:23 | posts: 23 | Location: Pennsylvania USA

I have an XFX 8800 GTS 640 MB I tried this on with the newest WHQL Nvidia Drivers and the Newest Beta of Afterburner and my Voltage is still locked no matter what I try. I've even changed the values and then made the config file "Read Only".

Any ideas or is this card's voltage not changable?

Old
  (#13)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-1050
Default 05-04-2011, 03:27 | posts: 12,044 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrageser View Post
I have an XFX 8800 GTS 640 MB I tried this on with the newest WHQL Nvidia Drivers and the Newest Beta of Afterburner and my Voltage is still locked no matter what I try. I've even changed the values and then made the config file "Read Only".

Any ideas or is this card's voltage not changable?
this is only for the amd cards.

Old
  (#14)
jtrageser

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX260-216
Processor: Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Mainboard: EVGA x58 3 Way SLi Classi
Memory: 12GB CorsairDominatorDDR3
Soundcard: Logitech X-530
PSU: Ultra x4 1050 Watt
Smile 05-09-2011, 23:58 | posts: 23 | Location: Pennsylvania USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
this is only for the amd cards.
OOPS! I missed that part! LOL

Thanks!

Old
  (#15)
silkstone

Videocard: Asus EAH6850
Processor: E3110
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 475W AcBel
Default 05-11-2011, 17:19 | posts: 2

This doesn;t work for me, voltages are still locked on an asus 6850 (V2) The only app i can actually get to work is Trixx Any idea when support will be added to the EAH6850 V2?

Old
  (#16)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-11-2011, 17:27 | posts: 11,192 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkstone View Post
This doesn;t work for me, voltages are still locked on an asus 6850 (V2) The only app i can actually get to work is Trixx Any idea when support will be added to the EAH6850 V2?
This does work for those who read before posting.
Voltage control support for ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire or any other non-MSI non-reference design cards will never be added to Afterburner and it was repeated 100 times before, please use search. And the thing that truely doesn't work for you is therad reading skills, unofficial overclocking mode is nothing but extending overclocking range beyond AMD Overdrive/CCC clock limits. It has zero relations to getting voltage control on non-reference design cards.

Old
  (#17)
silkstone

Videocard: Asus EAH6850
Processor: E3110
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 475W AcBel
Default 05-11-2011, 17:36 | posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
This does work for those who read before posting.
Voltage control support for ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire or any other non-MSI non-reference design cards will never be added to Afterburner and it was repeated 100 times before, please use search. And the thing that truely doesn't work for you is therad reading skills, unofficial overclocking mode is nothing but extending overclocking range beyond AMD Overdrive/CCC clock limits. It has zero relations to getting voltage control on non-reference design cards.
I apologize, i have actually searched thoroughly on the topic, although i admit i hadn't done a search on the guru3d board. Everything i have found had recommended using MSI afterburner to adjust the voltage, and MSI afterburner worked with Rev1 of this card (also a non ref. PCB) but it now doesn't work with Rev 2

I read that in order to gain access to voltage control on an asus card that you had to enable unofficial overclocking mode, but i guess they were wrong. Sorry for my post, it is late and what i mean't to be a question came across a little direct.

Old
  (#18)
ersan191

Videocard: Radeon 6990
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200W
Default 06-07-2011, 09:02 | posts: 2

I know there isn't any support for it, but I seem to be having a problem with UnofficialOverclockingMode set to 1 or 2 on a multi-GPU (non-crossfire) configuration. GPU1 always seems to be locked at stock clocks (core and memory clocks say "0", and changing them will just reset them to 0 and the card reads stock clocks (in this case 810/1250)). GPU2 and GPU3 function properly. When UnofficialOverClockingMode is set to 0 everything functions perfectly (without the additional overclocking headroom). I read another post about this and the user said he reinstalled the ATI drivers and the issue went away but I have reinstalled the drivers several times and this has not been the case.

I have tried different cards in different PCI-E slot positions, and it has always been GPU1 that is stuck at 0. The cards I am using are asus reference HD6950 2GB's with unlocked shaders. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ersan191; 06-07-2011 at 09:05.

Old
  (#19)
Crasher

Videocard: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III
Processor: 2500K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 850W Gold 80+
Question 06-09-2011, 12:00 | posts: 4

I am always getting BSOD after running the MSI Afterburner with my CrossfireX mode MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC.

I also changed my bios settings. Any suggestions?

My system:

Core i5 2500K -Thermalright VenomousX
ASUS Sabertooth P67
4x2GB Geill Ripjaws
CF-X 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC
80GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 2x500GB Samsung Raid0
23" Samsung PX2370 LED
CoolerMaster HAFX ** Powered by 850W Seasonic

Old
  (#20)
Crasher

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-09-2011, 12:02 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aix View Post
For me, enabling this option makes my comp BSOD with an atikmdag.sys error if I change the clocks AT ALL - even 10mhz.

I can change the core voltage, and I can OC to 950MHz in CCC, but no dice on moving the Core Clock slider if this option is enabled. Ah well.
same with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aix View Post
For me, enabling this option makes my comp BSOD with an atikmdag.sys error

Old
  (#21)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-09-2011, 12:31 | posts: 11,192 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I am always getting BSOD after running the MSI Afterburner with my CrossfireX mode MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC.
And I'm always repeating the same boring thing again, again, again and again: read EULA prior to blindly copy-pasting "I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it"!! Doing it blindly is just plain stupid, it is hidden that far from beginners and limitations are mentioned there not just for fun!
Use search, read about ULPS, read what to expect from unofficial overclocking path before modifying the configuration files and only then enable it. Or blame nobody but yourself.

Old
  (#22)
Crasher

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-09-2011, 15:46 | posts: 4

ULPS has already disabled on both cards. I know my limitations etc. I just want to enable the overclocking. If you do not support this card, just tell it.

Old
  (#23)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-09-2011, 16:11 | posts: 11,192 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you do not support this card, just tell it.
We DON'T support ANY card in unofficial overclocking mode. If you don't get the meaning of text you're pasting into EULA field - stay as far from this mode as it is possible.

Old
  (#24)
stefon

Videocard: MSI HD 6850 1GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: LC Power 500w
Default 06-22-2011, 15:05 | posts: 1

I did all the steps, but when i want to save MSIAfterburner.cfg file, an error comes out and it tells ''acces is denied''. What should i do ???

Enable unofficial overclocking not functioning?
Old
  (#25)
chemao

Videocard: Nvidia NVS3100
Processor: Intel Core i7 M620
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: unknown
Question Enable unofficial overclocking not functioning? - 06-30-2011, 03:22 | posts: 2

Cheers,

I have followed precisely the instructions provided above, but Afterburner is still limiting my overclocking speeds on an NVS3100.

Defaults:
CORE: 606, MEMORY: 790, SHADERS: 1468

Current (limited by Afterburner):
CORE: 790, MEMORY: 1030, SHADERS: 1910

Desired:
CORE: 900, MEMORY 1100, SHADERS: 2500

The desired settings have proven very stable, when I can get them enabled. Previously, I was using nTune to set the values, but it's so buggy that I have to do weird stuff to get around an error that says "The values were invalid and will not be applied." This is a strange bug with nTune and when it rears its ugly face, you can't change anything. If it's overclocked you can't even revert to standard timings! It's very strange. I hope you can offer some advise how to remove the limits in MSI Afterburner. The above steps do not seem to be working.

MSI Afterburner: version 2.1.0 (15-02-2011 19:20:13)
Forceware: 275.33
GPU: NVS3100 - 512MB